Netcraft Browser Extension
The Netcraft anti-phishing browser extension provides comprehensive site
information and phishing protection when browsing the web. Users can also use
the extension to report URLs they believe to be malicious to Netcraft.
Why use the Netcraft Extension?
- Protect your savings from Phishing attacks.
- Protect your credit card information from being stolen by shopping site skimmers
- See the hosting location and Risk Rating of every site you visit (as well as
- Help defend the Internet community from fraudsters.
- Check if a website supports
Perfect Forward Secrecy (PFS).
- See if a website is affected by the aftermath of the
- Stop web miners from slowing down your computer
The Netcraft anti-phishing community is effectively a giant neighbourhood watch
scheme, empowering the most alert and most expert members to defend everyone
within the community against
Once the first recipients of a phishing mail have reported the target URL, it is
blocked for community members as they subsequently access the URL. Widely
disseminated attacks simply mean that the phishing attack will be reported and
“Been testing the @Netcraft toolbar, and it’s amazingly good at blocking
phishing. They’re a threat intel provider, so this is a direct feed.”
Browse in Safety
Key features of the Netcraft Extension:
- Site Reports: Link to a detailed
report about the site, helping you to make informed choices about their
- Risk Ratings: We
evaluate the characteristics of the site and compare these
against those depicted by fraudulent sites. The result is a simple visual
summary displayed on the Extension. A lower risk rating is better as it
indicates lower risk.
Additional information about the site at a glance, including:
- Country: The country where the site is hosted
- First seen: The first Netcraft
Web Server Survey
this site was seen in
- Site rank: The
popularity of the site
amongst Netcraft extension users.
- Host: The name of the organisation hosting the site
- PFS: Check if sites using SSL
for encryption support Perfect Forward Secrecy (PFS). PFS ensures that if
the private key of the site is compromised - for example by a court order,
social engineering, an attack against the site, or cryptanalysis - your
historical encrypted traffic remains safe.
- SSLv3: Indicates whether
the web server supports SSLv3, which could mean that a downgrade attack is
- Report suspected phishing sites: At the click of the button you can report
suspected web forgeries to Netcraft, helping to protect the community.
Netcraft operates an incentive scheme for Phishing site
submissions, including iPads, backpacks, and mugs.
The Netcraft Extensions also:
- Traps suspicious URLs containing characters which have no common purpose other
than to deceive.
- Clearly displays sites’ hosting
location, including country, helping you to evaluate fraudulent urls.
The browser extension can be downloaded for free from your browser’s store.